The remit of the Governing Body includes the following core functions:
- Ensuring clarity of vision, ethos and strategic direction
- Holding executive leaders to account for the educational performance of the organisation and its pupils and for the performance management of staff
- Overseeing the financial performance of the organisation and making sure its money is well spent
In exercising their functions the Governing body agrees to:
- Act with integrity, objectivity and honesty and in the best interests of the school
- Be open about the decisions they make, actions taken and be prepared to explain their decisions and actions to interested parties.
- The governing body will appoint a clerk with a view to ensuring their efficient functioning and must have regard to advice from the clerk as to the nature of the governing body’s functions.
The Head Teacher’s responsibilities include:
- The internal organisation, management and control of the school
- The educational performance of the school
- The head teacher is accountable to the governing body for the performance of all his or her responsibilities
- The head teacher must comply with any reasonable direction of the governing body.
Steve Cooper - Chair of Governors - LA Governor
I have been involved in school governance for over twenty years and have always had a passion to ensure pupils get the best education available and best suited to their individual needs.
I am retired but worked for BT for 38 years rising to the dizzy heights of manager of a staff of 30 people.
Apart from schools and education, my passions include assisting at Rotherham’s Chapel on the bridge, which is a grade 1 listed building in the centre of Rotherham, enabling the public to enjoy this very historic building. I also love foreign travel especially by train and try to go at least once a year.
For my sins I support Sheffield Wednesday but someone has to.
I can be contacted via post at: c/o Chair of Governing Body, Newman School, East Bawtry Road, S60 3LX.