COVID Update - December 2021
Dear Parent/ Carer,
A new COVID-19 variant of concern has been identified in the UK. Concerns are that the new variant, called Omicron, can spread more quickly and may be more likely to cause reinfections of COVID-19.
The Department for Education encourages the wearing of masks in school and we are re-enforcing this for staff in communal areas. I am asking all parents and carers, staff and visitors to wear face coverings inside school premises – beyond the reception desk, where social distancing cannot be maintained. This guidance is further to the Rotherham recommendations issued in November 2021.
I would again encourage all eligible adults and young people aged 12 and over are to take up the offer of the vaccine, including boosters.
Coronavirus (COVID-19) symptoms in children
- a high temperature.
- a new, continuous cough – this means coughing a lot, for more than an hour, or 3 or more coughing episodes in 24 hours.
- a loss or change to sense of smell or taste – this means they cannot smell or taste anything, or things smell or taste different to normal.
If your child has symptoms:
- If your child has COVID symptoms, they must stay at home. They must not go to school and they should go for a PCR test and isolate.
If your child is identified as a contact of a positive COVID case:
- You may be contacted by NHS Test & Trace or the school/setting and informed that your child has been identified as a contact. They will not need to isolate but will need to book and attend for a PCR test. They will be able to continue going to school if they have no symptoms and are well. If the test is positive or they have symptoms they must then isolate. Others in the household will not be required to isolate, unless it is Omicron, if they are fully vaccinated or are below the age of 18 years and 6 months.
- If you haven’t booked your own vaccination or haven’t had your second dose, please arrange to do so as soon as you can. You can book online at nhs.uk/covid-vaccination or call 119 free of charge to make an appointment.
Dinnington Update: We moved the 11-19 main school cohort successfully into the new building at Dinnington in November. We did have issues with the heating and with the new lift, but both of these seem to be getting better. The pupils have been amazing and we are so impressed with their adaptability. The demolition and build for EYFS and Primary on the main school site, is the next event to happen in January and when we have fixed the dates I will let you know. There is a lot going on in school and now we have the Christmas decorations up, it does feel (as they say) a lot like Christmas. We do have a training day on the 4th January where we are again focussing on a range of issues like Safeguarding and we are fortunate to have the NSPCC coming in next term to support us during the term with this. On another note, if there is likely to be any disruption due to any snow, I will always make sure the Facebook page and the Website has up to date information.
Many thanks to you all.